musings from a lost beachgirl

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Here we go

So anyway, I call myself a lost beachgirl b/c I left the beach when I was 4 years old, thanks to my parents divorce (no seriously, I'm actually glad they got divorced, both parents are great though). The only time I feel truly at peace is when I am sitting on Folly Beach (near Charleston,SC). I love the sounds, the smells, everything about the beach.

I've never done a blog but I hear they are cathartic in a way so there's not a whole lot to tell really but here goes:

- I love my family, most of the time, ok all of the time. We're southerners so sometimes it's a love hate thing.

-I am as southern as they come, funny thing, the more adult beverages I consume, the more southern my accent becomes. When I start quoting from Steel Magnolias, the girls know to cut me off...

-I love college football which makes this year very hard for me... My mighty Vols literally stink this year, we got beat by, dare I say it out loud, Vanderbilt.... Oh the shame of it all.

- I am a traditional lady (my mammaw always said there was a difference between a woman and a lady). You can open doors for me, buy me things, and flowers are a must.

-I am single, much to the dismay of my precious mother (I am her only child, my daddy has a son, my precious younger brother who is the light of my life). Nevermind the fact that I graduated from college, moved away from home (ok, so it's only two and a half hours, but it's just enough), bought a house and am successful in my career. This woman wants to plan a wedding then a baby shower a year from the moment I say "I Do".... I have to admit I want to get married as well, and have babies, but I'm not settling for just anybody.

Ok now you have the basics, but just like an onion there are many more layers to this pretty little southern girl. Some of the layers aren't that pretty and some of them are down right crazy, but in the south, we put our crazy people on display for everyone to see...

4 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Woo hoo! Fantabulous beginning to the world of blogging!! And since I have discovered we are so alike, yet so different . . I'm going to give you a really long comment:

Totally with you on the Southern love/hate tradition. Love my family more than anything, hate them more than anything. That's how it works. We're a complicated lot (Southerners), we are. But we're not the only ones. My mother is a Yankee (as am I, kind of, by birth and partial raising) and they're just as crazy as we are. They just hide it better.

Oh child! I quote Steel Magnolias when drunk as well. However, if you see my crying and laughing (Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion!) take the alocohol from me IMMEDIATELY.

You're going to hate me. I was rooting for Vandy. Being from AR, I'm not allowed to like the following teams: Tennessee Vols (sorry, babe, but I KNOW you understand), LS-WHO and Texas. Besides, Cutler is amazing this year, your defense wasn't very effective at rushing him.

Yeah! You have a Mammaw, too!

I am so sorry! I am VERY lucky that my mother, God love her, actually wants me to NEVER get married. She thinks I'll be happier. However, the entire rest of my family thinks happiness without a man is impossible. And they call me and tell me this CONSTANTLY. I feel your pain, but luckily have an ally against the marriage monster. Why can't they just be happy that we are educated, successful, independent women . . . for now?????

Nah, you're not like an onion, you're a parfait. Onions stink. (Thank you, Donkey)

9:06 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Meg- you are the best!! Thanks so much for the encouragement.. I understand about the football thing. By the way, I met Cutler at a cocktail party Monday night. SERIOUSLY!! I congratulated him on a great game and told him I was glad I got to see him play... He was very nice but VERY shy....

Love ya girl!

11:35 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Girl, you should have busted him out of that shyness. Good football players are ALWAYS great to have around for . . . whatever.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Beachgirl--Excellent way to start your blog...

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home