musings from a lost beachgirl

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

What is Christmas Really About??

As a Christian I wanted to pose this question to all of you.... To me Christmas in America has lost its true meaning... It's about the birth of Christ.. not santa, not rudolph, not frosty... Gifts we give each other are supposed to be symbols of the gifts that were presented to Christ, right?? Well, when you give a gift, do you say, "here, I give this to you in Christ's name" , I don't but maybe we should... I go to church every Sunday and I actually love going to my church but on one of the holiest days of my religion, Christmas Eve, I probably won't go simply because there is just too much to do... TOO MUCH DO?? For what?? For Christ? No, stupid pidly little insignifcant things...
Every year I get caught up in the gift buying and end up broke going into the new year. When I tell my mother, please don't buy me a lot this year, her response is, 'yeah right and I can just see your face when your done opneing gifts, as if to say is that it??' I feel bad when she says that to me... Does she think I'm that shallow?? I guess in the past I have been, but I'm really not anymore. She's so afraid to see that look on my face that she breaks her back and the bank to give me everything.. I feel bad that I have conditioned her to feel that way. But I'm here to say enough is enough! I would much rather her not buy me ANYTHING and buy herself a new sofa!! For the love of man, our sofa is ALMOST as old as me... But she's one of those moms that would rather buy for her child than for herself... She's good that way....
My goal for the next year is to prove to my mother that I'm not the selfish little girl I used to be. Then I am going to limit her gift giving, at least to me next year. The best gift she could give me would be taking the money she would spend on me, and spend it ON HERSELF....

So I challenge you, tell me what you think Christmas really means... then tell me how you tend to forget what it means...

Merry Christmas Y'all!

6 Comments:

Blogger Barry S. said...

Good post, beachgirl...I just posted on my site my opinion on the very same topic.
Christmas has lost a lot through the commercialization of it all; but, there is still a lot to enjoy and be thankful for.
At the risk of tooting my own horn, I'd like to think I am not a selfish person at all. I do enjoy getting a gift, but as I grow older I enjoy seeing the faces of those around me as they open their presents. Maybe it is being selfish in a different, non-materialistic way, but to me, being around family and friends, sharing in the day, gives me a great feeling.
BTW, did you check out my pics I posted a few days ago? Call them my Christmas present to you and the rest of the blogosphere.

1:50 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Barry- you ROCK!! Those pics were AWESOME (I was doing the cheer moves that went with that word!!)..

Thanks as always for visiting...I've got to check out your new stuff...

1:58 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Must concur with Barry...I know, when am I ever short, sweet, and to the point?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

Hey that was a great post-I agree a lot of stuff can get in the way if we aren't careful!

4:35 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

I keep trying to answer this. I write and erase, write and erase . . and I just can't.

Mainly because I just got a bawl out from my mom when I told her not to expect much of anything for Christmas because I can think of NOTHING she either wants or needs . . . so she was getting mostly money. She chewed me out for 20 minutes. The words: lazy, thoughtless and not trying entered the conversation a few times.

Think I can get her some Zoloft??? Would that count as a gift?

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I am wanting to respond to this one so much but I'm in the middle of chaos right now. I'm still going to try and get to it later because it's a great post and great questions.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home