musings from a lost beachgirl

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

We need a miracle right now...

Those were the words of the Governor of West Virginia in reference to the 13 miners that trapped in one of the mines. The only thing I know about coal mines is what I've seen in the movie "A Coalminers Daughter" . I just didn't grow up in or around coal mining communities. But something that Yoss said really hit me today.. He and his friends grew up near the community where the miners are trapped. I don't know why it bothered me when Yoss said it, but it was like it almost became personal at that point. It wasn't just some place in West Virginia, it's a place where families live, it's a place where kids play and go to school and crack on each other like Chairborne, Yoss and Jonnycakes do all the time.
The cameras are focused on a white wooden church where people have gathered to pray and wait. They wait for news that they pray will never come. The news that their loved ones are gone. The weather there seems to reflect the saddness everyone feels. It is gray, rainy and cold. Hope is surely fading.
My prayer tonight is that God will comfort those families as only He can. My heart breaks for that entire community. They do in fact need a miracle. I hope they get it....

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm never good at things like this, so I will just add my wishes to yours.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

This post leaves little oppurtunity for me to make fun of shit...so with that said...this was a very thoughful and caring post for the people who need it. Awareness of such issues is always a good thing, even if it doesn't immediately help anything, and I think your feet are to big for your kneecaps

12:01 AM  
Blogger Barry S. said...

Sadly, things didn't turn out as hoped, and, in fact, were much worse, what with telling the family members the workers were alive, only to find out it was mistaken information.

What a horribly sad story.

6:10 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

RG- huh?? feet, kneecaps?? need it on the low shelf please...

I went to sleep last night after hearing that they were alive, the woke up to complete disbelief.. It is so sad and tragic... My heart still aches more so now than ever for that entire community...

6:58 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

I just can't beleive that the wrong information was put out, how does that happen?

Talk about making things worse

11:05 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Mass Hysteria, and wanting so badly to believe it is true.

I know, it just breaks my heart.. There were even papers that went to press with the "They're Alive" headline...

11:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Papers do that sometimes. But this was a bit more serious than "Dewey Defeats Truman"

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blah blah blah, whippy dee doo

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home