musings from a lost beachgirl

Monday, March 13, 2006

Goody Bags..

So a comment from Dr.Ken got me to thinkin' about a topic, Goody Bags... he asked if I gave those out at my party over the weekend or maybe that was just a Chicago thing (b/c that's where he lives)... I told him,
a.) there was no party b/c I was as sick as dog that just went through last week's trash.. a bout with the stomach flu will get you everytime
b.) the goody bags are not a "chicago" thing...

Let me explain..

The Goody Bag is something that is usually handed out at children's brithday parties at the end to thank everyone for attending said child's birthday party. It usually follows the theme of the aforementioned party an example being Thomas the Train... The bag is filled with candy and little trinkets that children will enjoy...

I explained to Dr.Ken that there are varying degrees of goody bags here in the south... There is the child's birthday goody bag, but here in the south we give out goody bags for other things..

The Bachelorette Goody Bag:
Filled with everything the bachlorette will need for her raucus night out... the items in this goody bag can get very raunchy so I will not dare to mention them in the daylight hours.. But just use your imagination..

The Bridesmaid Goody Bag:
This is a goody bag given by brides filled with little gifts to thank bridesmaids for being in the wedding..Now, this is of little consolation because the bridesmaids have spent enormous amounts of money on a heinous dress, and shoes that they will never wear again...

as a caveat to this, I must say my best friend paid for my dress and I have worn it again... but this was a one time event!!

This goody bag usually contains, a trinket of some kind, usually the heinous jewlery the bride wants you to wear with the heinous dress and shoes she has picked for you and YOU have paid for...

The Baby shower/ bridal shower goody bag:
This usually goes to the hostess of the party.. It is usually a smelly candle or smelly lotion of somekind, you know something that goes directly into the re-gift closet (a little secret that all southern women have, when you get a gift you do not like, it goes into the re-gift closet so you can give the heinous thing or things to someone else.. b/c after all one person's trash is another's treasure)..

and Finally....


The Funeral Goody bag
Now as tasteless as this sounds, let me explain... In the south, when someone passes on, people bring food to a central location for the family of the lost loved one... Because in the south, that is one thing we never lose... our capacity to eat! For instance, when my mammaw died we had more food than we knew what to do with, so when well wishers would stop by the house we would send them away with a plate of food i.e. the funeral goody bag... Now, after the funeral, everyone goes back to the house (it's never really quite clear whose house everyone should migrate towards, but somehow, everyone just knows where "the house" is, it's a southern thing I guess).. That's when people will bring plants and flowers back to the said "house" from the funeral home.... Sometimes people will send the most awful arrangements, they mean well, bless their hearts but heavens, those things can be bad.. So send that ugly plant or arrangement along with the extra food home with the well wisher.. Tell he/she would have wanted them to have it... because heaven knows you sure don't!

I hope that has cleared up the goody bag question, b/c I know y'all were dying to know!!

Remember, I love y'all more than my luggage!!
~Beachgirl

5 Comments:

Blogger Drunken Chud said...

there was a strip club i went to that gave out goodie bags... sadly... never the goodies i wanted, but goodies no less.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

hmm very interesting.

i hate yankees. (random thought of the day as I have had some run-ins with some Jeeeeeeeeeersey people today)

oh and HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY!!! sorry i was late..been busy lately. Actually it was my mom's birthday yesterday (the 13th).. except she's a biiiit older than you.. ALTHOUGH, she looks just as young. Man, my mom is seriously the youngest looking mom in the world.. and she's not one of those plastic-surgery-face-lift-diet-doing-lifo-suction-fake-anti-wrinking-taking-people either, she's just naturally young looking (but my dad, now he's a different story, ah ha).. hahah.. oook then.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

^ it cut off part of my message uh-well.. too many dashes

12:48 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Chuddy- you ain't a bit right and I'm with Laurie on this one, sometimes there are no words...

Laurie- Honey, I feel your pain... Bridesmaids freakin deserve a nobel peace prize for having to deal with bridezillas!!

Stonewall- oh sweet boy, bless your heart havin to deal with yankees... YUCK!! You are a good boy, sayin all that nice stuff about your momma... I have been a little worried about you, you haven't been around lately, but I guess that's the life of a teenager, busy,busy,busy!!
Thank you for the birthday wishes, it is so very sweet of you!!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

thank you girls. thank you.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home