musings from a lost beachgirl

Friday, March 03, 2006

Diets do wierd things to you....

Ok, so I am back on the South Beach Diet... I decided to go on the diet last year when I weighed in at a whopping 200 pounds, which, for me was devastating... I was extremely uncomfortable, I was snoring at night and my dating life had all but come to an abrupt halt... So the first week of January of 2005, I started the South Beach Diet, by week 2 I had lost 13 pounds... and the diet wasn't that hard... It became a way of life for me, lots of whole grains, nothing white, no sugar, no fried foods, and basically no fast food. I felt great.. By the time July rolled around I had lost about 35 pounds... I felt wonderful and I looked pretty darn good. I was proud of myself...

But when my mom had her heart attack July 5, I fell off the wagon and stayed off the wagon until a few weeks ago when I went back on the diet... My spare tire is back, I only gained about 10 pounds , but I feel every bit of it, and it feels awful!!! So here's where the craziness begins. One of the ladies I work with, we'll call her Toni, is obese. She's getting ready to have gastric banding done... Which is fine, but it drives me nuts, b/c she still eats everything fried, burgers, french fries, real cokes, and dessert, lots of desserts... I wonder how much weight she would lose if she just stopped eating all of that crap.. Now I'm being hypocritical, b/c up until a few weeks ago I still eating that crap too... People that complain about their weight while eating twinkies, that's what drives me nuts... I have committee to a lifestyle change, to be healthier, and to eat better... No, it's not easy but it's worth it in the end....

So now that I cannot have certain foods, I am keenly aware of those who can.... It almost grosses me out to see people eating fast food now... That's what I mean, diets do wierd things to you...

12 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

First of all, congrats on the initial weight loss! It's understandable that you fell off the wagon when your mom was sick, but I'm sure you'll do great again this time!

Also, I don't think it's weird that it grosses you out. Plus, it's not just about the diet. That woman you work with can have the gastric banding but those greasy fried foods are still just as bad for her heart and everything. In the end, it's not about the weight as much as it is about being healthy. You're definitely going about it the right way. Best of luck! I'm rooting for ya!

1:26 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks lizzie girl!! Have a great weekend!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

hey while you're at it, i could stand to shed a few pounds so, how bout losing some of my weight for me? thanks... be a peach. hehehehe

3:52 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I'm on Weight Watchers and it's awesome. I've lost 17 lbs since Jan 1. It's not as fast as South Beach, but it's more realistic because you can still eat normally but it forces you to learn about portion control and eating lots of veggies, which I NEVER used to eat. I've never been a fast food eater or anything so it hasn't been hard for me. The weekends can be kind of difficult because alcohol costs "points" (about 2 pts for a glass of wine), but during the week it's a breeze and I always feel like I've had enough to eat. If you haven't tried it, you might want to look into it. I go to the meetings and stuff, but if you don't like that, you can just do it online.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Congratulations on your efforts, Beachgirl has determination as well. Total package. Carry on.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

that's awesome about the weight loss-keep up the good work, BG!

11:35 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

GURL! :)

No comment on the fast food grossing you out. Zach ate the biggest, greasiest burger on the planet yesterday and I LITERALLY had to throw up.

I have no idea what the Buddha is going on.

So does this mean I get only lettuce and tomatoes all this weekend, birthday girl???

4:39 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

BG- Your birthday is coming up?! If so, happy one!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Barry S. said...

That's great news!

Keep up the good work, beachgirl!

11:08 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Chud- you got, I am putting it on my list- "lose weight for chud" check..

Tara- WELCOME!! Glad you stopped by....I tried the whole points thing and it didn't work for me... but you know, different strokes... hey- I've already lost 6 pounds!! Alcohol is my downfall b/c I am a social drinker and I have been EXTREMELY social lately...yikes!!

Rolli- Total Package??!! Ha,ha.. When I was an intern, my nickname was total package... I think mainly b/c I worked in a male dominated field (politics) and I could hold my own whether it was talking about legislation or sports..I'm always better friends with guys than girls anyway..

CS- Thanks CS, no kidding, my goal is to wear a bikini this summer... Something I haven't done since I was about 5 when a fat belly and chubby legs were considered cute! I think when our friend gets home this fall, he's going to kick himself for letting me go!! ;)

megs- NO! Birthday weekend, anything goes!! Let me know when you're coming!! I am so excited, despite my breakdown last night... BTW, you know what I really want for my b-day, but the new Mary J. Blige album will suffice...

lizzie- Thanks! my b-day is saturday, I will be the uneventful 31...

barry- thanks for the encouragement... an advance copy of your book would be a great
b-day gift!! I just can't wait to read it!! I love southern lit.. I"m reading Dorthea Benton Frank's Shem Creek right now..I seriously almost have my bags packed ready to move back to the low country!!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Barry S. said...

beachgirl - It might be a little belated, but I would love to give you a copy as a birthday gift! Hopefully it will be available soon, and hopefully you will enjoy it!

The Low Country is a great place, isn't it?

Got any big plans for your birthday?

9:07 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Laurie- bless your heart!! Take one of your famous hot baths and drink some wine.. better yet, get your honey to rub it for you.. ;)

barry- Thanks!! I love the low country..Maybe you should use it as inspiration for your next book!! Big plans? I don't know, I think a bunch of us are going out, it's supposed to be beautiful that day..so we are going to a place that serves buckets of beer and tex-mex food... then we will probably go honky tonkin... good times!!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home