musings from a lost beachgirl

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A couple of things

So my good friend meg is always doing these lists so I thought I would give it a shot....

1. Social Season update
Things are going well but I have never in my life encountered so many women that don't have the common sense God gave a rock. These are educated women!! But they have no common sense... Maybe it's b/c I am a project manager by trade and trying to apply those qualities to the social world is apparently all in vain... I have 3 events this month, March will be a little bit of a rest but then April and May come full force... There are galas, parties and golf tourneys that will hopefully be very successful... granted I don't kill a socialite in the process...

2. All this over a cartoon??
Ok, I try to leave the politics to lizzie, kate, pk and yoss but I will just comment briefly on this whole Danish political cartoon depicting the prophet Mohammad (sp?) with a bomb shaped like a turban on his head... Yes it was horribly offensive to Muslims as a whole, but to burn down churches and riot in the streets over a cartoon?? I thought the Muslim faith preaches peace and love? But I guess there are nuts in every religion, right? I mean the Christians had Jim Jones...nuff said about that...

3. The little black dress
Every girl needs one. I have a summer little black dress but not one for the winter. So my mother decided to take me shopping over the weekend. I tried on a number of dresses. Mother kept picking out these dresses with a 1920's influence, the boxy shape and drop waste... These dresses do not, I repeat DO NOT look good on a woman with a shape like mine. I have curves, and yes that means I have hips, not big hips but my hips don't look good in a drop waste dress. Now, understand that my momma is precious and has really good taste. But there was this dress she made me wear when I I was about 14 to my cousin's wedding. I hated the dress but she loved it and I wore it. You've seen that part in Gone with the Wind when Scarlett pulls the drapes down from the windows and tells Mammy to make her a dress? Well the dress my momma picked out for me to wear to my cousins wedding looked like she had taken the drapes from some Mammaw's bedroom in the old folks home. It had a flower print and it came off of my right shoulder, and on my left shoulder was a big ole bow... I have never, NEVER let her forget that dress and how heinous it was... including last Sunday. So after we got past the 1920's dresses, we both picked out some more dresses. The one we decided on was a short straight black velvet number with pink satin at the top and pink spaghetti straps. She liked it b/c it made me look skinny and it showed off my best asset (in her opinion), my bosom... That's what she calls my breasts....my bosom...


4. Showin your bosom in the daylight hours
God forbid you should show your bosom in the daylight hours. Momma all but called this lady out in the Bi-Lo for showing her bosom in the daylight hours.. I did have to agree, the woman was trying to recapture her youth (she was pushing 50) by wearing one of those velour joggin outfits that says something on the butt like Juicy.. should have said WIDE LOAD across her butt... and she was painted up like she was gettin ready to work the corner of Chapman and Moody (the hooker's corner in K-town). Her jacket was unzipped down to her navel and she was wearing a tank top, that showed off her droopy (worst kind in my opinion) bosom... She had also been in the tanning bed so much I questioned her caucasion status... But the worst thing of all, she had her little girl with her!!! Bad fashion and horrible make-up application, is like child abuse to me.. Just trash, nothin but trash...

Well kids I guess that's it for now... Hope all is well with everyone in the blogosphere!!

Kisses!!

~Beachgirl

P.S. I am thinking of planning a bloggers beach trip, anyone interested??

17 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I am leaving the fashion critiques to you because I have no style. I do know however that 1920's drop waists and regency England high waists look beautiful if you are a stick. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

As soon as the J-Lo tacky track suit thing is over I will be happy. You could be the hottest thing going and not be able to pull off 'juicy' across the derrière (As my Mom refers to it).

10:57 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Oh come on pk- let me know what you think!!

kate- I am sure you have a good sense of fashion.. you knew what drop waist dresses are and regency England high waists... The fact we agree the J-Lo track suits are heinous, is proof that you have good taste!! Although I do have a black one but I only wear for long distance travel and sleep wear...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

It's a health issue PK. You can't risk having tight clothing cut off circulation.

12:04 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thank you kate...

12:07 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I have a really stupid question. What exactly is Social Season? (Pardon my ignorance.)

12:37 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Lizzie- not a stupid question at all.... The spring social season is usually a time when there are lots of charitable events that include fundraisers like galas, parties, lunches, and golf tournaments.... all in the name of charity. The planning starts in January and kicks off officially usually in February... it runs through about May then it's over just like that...

It seems silly but we do raise a lot of money for some really great charities... and I get a new outfit for every event...Would anyone like to join me at my new place commonly referred to as the poor house!!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Barry S. said...

My social season starts on the first Saturday in May...The Kentucky Derby.

Friends say I enjoy it every year.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

Sorry I don't know much about fashion and shopping and such. In fact, I hate shopping..lol, my life goal is to spend as little money as humanly possible. (although I'm a sucker for CD's).. But enjoy the SSS... ttyl.

8:51 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

1 - Chica, that Junior League is taking over your life. How the buddha are Robin and I supposed to venture that way if you're in the "full swing" season. Having said that, I hope Alana got in touch with you last night. Full swing means you need GOOD makeup.

2 - Check out Armaedes's take on it. Because I was so with him. People lose their minds over NOTHING. If you're offended by it, don't look at it. There are things I find offensive everyday (hello, can you say daycare vouchers, welfare and medicaid), but I don't riot or burn things about them!

3 - Yay! Black dress! Poor momma, doesn't she know the rules of a drop waist??

4 - UGH.

Good list, girlie.
Impressed!

PS - Beach?? Beach?? As long as I can bring books, I'm so in and you know it.

5:34 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

barry- I've never done the derby but would love to some day!! That is a classic social event!!! Have a mint julep for me!!

Stonewall- you are just so precious and are a typicale male, but precious nonetheless...

Megs-precious girl, March is looking good, only one real event and it's the weekend of my b-day march 11 (everyone please mark your calendars and make a donation to your favorite charity that day in honor of my b-day please) so y'all just hop on I-40 and come on over!!! Alana did call but I was trying to die last night- migraine from hell...tell her she's not an "a$$head" as she so lovingly described herself...
Momma does know the rules but she's thin and weighs 115 soakin' wet, bless her poor little heart, she doesn't know what it is like to be a bigger girl...

OK- beach trip is looking like the week of July 4th- Charleston, you tell me who all is comin from your crew and I'll make the arrangements.. and yes you can bring books just as long as they are mindless smutt books that you can share with the rest of us!!

HEY! maybe we can visit our sweet boy stonewall at the Citadel- then again I'm sure if knobs can get off campus, but we'll see...Hey-stonewall, do knobs get a summer vacation??

11:33 AM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

Well I'll still be in Florida in July. I'm not starting at the Citadel until August 12. But sure, ya, when I'm there just come on over and invade the barracks. I'm sure I wouldn't get in trouble... ha.. ha..

6:15 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Stonewall- that's HYSTERICAL!! Yep, me invading Citadel, that's a good one!

12:18 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Ahhhhh!

No July 4th!
It's my birthday weekend and a holiday and it is more than likely that I will be out of state - - Pennsylvania.

:(

Alana says she is an A$$hat and don't argue with your elder.

Actually, I threw in the don't argue with your elder bit.

5:06 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

megs- ughhh. July 4th is when I take my vacation, why don't you come the weekend after the 4th? I'll be there the whole week, I could probably stay through the weekend..come on, it will be fun!!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

you volunteered to do a "meme?"

and your own mother, a lady of strict southern values, was encouraging you to show off your, um, top half? Suprised at the discressions of the south.

also, I don't like the term "bosom" it reminds me of somthing that should be used to describe part of plant.

but if there is anyone who can make that term, well, un-plant like, I'm sure it is most definately you!

1:34 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Rolli-whereas (sorry, I'm reviewing legislation and there are all these stupid terms like "whereas") I love you to pieces, what does pulling a "meme" mean? I asked megs about it and she didn't know either...

and as far as my bosom goes, it was grandmother that taught me not to show my bosom in the daylight hours... look at some of the gowns from Gone with The Wind (ok, so you're never going to do that but just trust me)those corsets forced the bosom to come up and almost out of those gowns... How many times can I use the word bosom in this response??

But thanks for the compliment!! You sir, are too kind...

12:48 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

oh and laurie, you are preaching to the choir on that one...

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home