musings from a lost beachgirl

Thursday, March 09, 2006

It's my birthday!! Well almost...

So as many of you already know, my 31st birthday is Saturday. I have always loved my birthday because I didn't have to share that day with anyone else, people celebrated that day b/c I was born!! It was all about me, most things are, but this day is seriously all about me... My parents always made a big deal about it, even after my parents divorced, there was always something from daddy on my birthday. But as I get older and people have come and gone from life I start getting a little more emotional about the b-day...

For instance, my sweet Mammaw always sent me a card for my special day, it was always signed "Love, mammaw and granddaddy" and the year was always written in the lower right hand corner. She passed away a few years ago and since then I always miss her around this time of year, especially b/c she died about a week after my birthday. A year after her death my aunt (her daughter, and my mother's sister) died suddenly and was buried on the anniversary of Mammaw's death. So March is really no longer a happy time for my family and that's ok... They really try to put on brave faces for my birthday and as the years have passed it has gotten a little easier, but the pain is still there.... I actually expect to go to my mailbox and find a card from Mammaw, but I know it won't be there. I've said it before but it bears repeating, I still miss her and would give everything I own, to hear her sweet voice tell me she loves me...

Also, my dear friend that helped me celebrate last year (the one who sent me the flowers for Valentine's day) is deployed in Iraq, and I really miss him, especially b/c he LOVES a good party!! He actually made me 2 CD's for my birthday last year, he called them my Booty Shakin 30th birthday Cd's... I have been listening to them all week to get pumped for the big day... But I would give just about anything to have him home and know that he is safe... That would be a marvelous, marvelous gift...

But we will celebrate!! My friends are taking me out so it should be very fun, I am really looking forward to it... With the exception of the Junior League event I have to work the day of my birthday, yep I have to be there at 6:30 am... I know, I should have just said, nope, I'm not going to be there, it's my birthday but I have started a new tradition. It started last year when I turned 30, I felt I had everything I needed and was more than blessed so what was I going to do with useless gifts?? You know those gifts that usually consist of some awful smelling bath salts or lotion and you have to pretend to like, all the while knowing it was going in the re-gift closet at home...So I asked my party guests to make a donation to my favorite charity, which was Nashville Cares (and HIV/AIDS awarness group). So this year I thought I would actually give back to the community and work a charitable event on my actual birthday... I am also asking my party guests this year should they choose to give me a gift to make it in the form of a donation to the House of Mercy, where I am a Board Member... No, I'm not Mother Teresa and I am not looking for praise... I just want to give back... The Lord has truly blessed me, and He teaches us to help the "least of these" so that's all I'm doing, just what the Lord says...

Besides, I gotta lot of making up to do for my college years!! Whew!! Jesus saw fit to get me through those days alive and pretty much intact, so I fell I owe it to him to do some good now..

So happy birthday to me, happy brithday to all of us... Birthdays are a celebration of the life God has given us. Let us rejoice and give thanks!

17 Comments:

Blogger Rolligun said...

I really like the outlook you have on your birthday, first of all becuase your excited about it! I'm one of those people that could not care less about my birthday and will happily let it pass without mentioning a word about it. You on the other hand have sense of enthusiasm, and a spirit for giving, not so much recieving. I think this makes you unique among the birthday community.

Your views kind of goes against the "bill of birthday rules", but I guess the I'st amendment on that bill says something about doing what you want, which trumps the second one about receiving things vs giving them. And so on.

11:09 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks Rolli.. I am trying to be really excited about it, but the tears and emotions still creep up on me... I don't think I'm unique in any way, but it's nice that you think so...
I hope you are well!!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Officially Fabulous said...

Happy Birthday Beachgirl- 31 is a GREAT YEAR!!
~ Fab : )~

8:40 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks Fab! It's actually starting off pretty rocky, no one at work has even aknowledged my big day...This is a group of people that have parties for everything... oh well, I'm leaving anyway to get my nails done.. to hell with these people!!

BTW, thanks for stopping by sweetie.. it was so very nice of you!

8:50 AM  
Blogger bnletb said...

Happy Birthday BG! Have a great time tomorrow. I will drink a beer in your honor tomorrow.

11:03 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Blogging from my phone. Thanks pk! So far 31 bites, hopefully it will get better.

12:45 PM  
Blogger bnletb said...

It will get better with every drink!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

wahoo! happy birthday! i'll be raising a drink to you.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

I guess this is where we're supposed to wish you a happy birthday?

:)

5:11 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

BG, happy birthday...I wish I would be able to be there with you to celebrate, but check your voice mail (and your mail box!). Enjoy the day, because it's ALL your day.

7:08 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Hey everyone!! Thanks for your birthday wishes. I wish I could tell you I went out,got hammered and danced the night away, buti t was just the opposite.. I had the stomach flu and stayed at home all weekend.... But all in all it was great birthday. I know that sounds wierd, but it was... I got to work today and my cubicle was decorated, and I am being "forced" to wear a tiara and pink boa all day.. Thanks again for everyone's wonderful birthday wishes!! I feel so blessed to "know" you all!!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Barry S. said...

Hope you had an AWESOME birthday!

P.S. Come over to my site - I have good news!

9:38 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

barry- I am so excited for you!!! I am going to order my copy right now!! My mom got a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble for Christmas and she said she was saving it to buy your book!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Sorry to hear you were sick for your birthday but that's great that your coworkers are making up for it today. Enjoy the tiara and boa!

11:30 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks lizzie girl!!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Beach, have a super-duper birthday. Did anyone get "goody bags" with little toys and candies on their way out of a birthday party, or is that a Chicago term and tradition?

12:27 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Well Dr. Ken, my birthday was the 11th, but I do plan on celebrating next weekend due to an unexpected stomach flu that got me on my birthday...
The Goodie Bag thing, heavens, we give those out for everything down here... at birthday parties, bridal showers, weddings, funerals (ok, so that's just left over food from someone's house or some ugly plant your cousin so&so sent)..

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home