musings from a lost beachgirl

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

You can't always get what you want...

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You just might find
You get what you need

I love this song... and it's chorus has become sort of my anthem. I was watching some mindless show last night and it's "theme" was to just go out and get what you want, and of course in TV land, the girl goes up to the guy she's in love with and says, "you're what I want" and they fall into each other's arms and they live happily ever after. Then the cold reality that is life kicks in, "that's a bunch of crap" is the thought that crosses my mind. If I could just go out and get what I wanted, the man of dreams (who is an actual person and a good friend) would be mine and I would be his. But that's not the way life works, I wish it was, but it's not.

This man is the most amazing man I have met thus far in my life. He's kind, funny, a little goofy, he loves music, and sports. Oh and handsome, did I mention handsome?? But the thing is, he doesn't "know" he's handsome... We have been friends for almost 2 years now. I know he cares for me but as far as dating goes, we're just not there yet and we might not ever really get there. We are still great friends, which is wonderful, with the exception that he is in a freakin warzone, so I don't even have him here to hang out with... That was the great thing about being with him, no matter what we were doing we always had fun. I found that I could just be myself with him, he just had a way of putting me at ease... I miss that more than anything...

Now I know what some people will say, don't wait around on him, and I have dated others, but honestly none of them compare to him... The right guy is out there, I know that and I look forward to meeting him.. but for right now, I would just settle for someone fun that I could hang out with, maybe watch some basketball with, something along those lines... I have always gotten along better with guys than I have with girls...

So the song says you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might get what you need... So I guess that's what I need, my friend, nothing more nothing less...

10 Comments:

Blogger Drunken Chud said...

well i saw her today at the reception...

ahh yes, that is a bit of an anthem of mine too. gotta love it.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

he'll come around one these days ;)

9:28 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Chuddy- I love ya!!

Stonewall- from your lips to God's ears.... You are too sweet!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

"Stonewall- sweet boy, let's be realistic about this... I appreciate your loyalty to your team but you all be lucky to make it to the regionals..."

hehe.. FINAL FOUR... GO GATORS!!

hopefully it'll end up being an all-SEC championship with LSU and Florida..we'll see

4:38 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Stonewall- you got me there.. just eating a big ole piece of humble pie this morning!!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

If he's truly what you want, I hope it works out with you two. I know the feeling of wanting someone you can't have because he's far away. It ain't fun. Hang in there. I'm pulling for you!

1:21 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks lizzie girl!! I hope this means you're back from your trip!!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Nothing less and nothing more, huh? But you do get what you need, trust me...

7:35 AM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

I know we have talked about this already between the two of us, but I really hope that he can open his eyes up and realize the great thing he has right in front of him. Sometimes guys can be too dense, othertimes too timid, and always too dumb to see properly! Wishing you the best, ALWAYS!

7:37 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks E!! You are such an amazing friend!! Hope you are enjoying Italy!!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home