musings from a lost beachgirl

Friday, April 07, 2006

Great conversation pieces

So there is more bad weather moving in to Tennessee today, we are already under a tornado watch.. Y'all know I take this stuff very seriously, to the point that I keep a portable(battery powered) TV/radio and small flashlight in my downstairs powder room at all times.. They are great conversation pieces.. When guests come over and use the powder room their first reaction is why in the world do I have those two obscure items in there?? Well allow me to explain..

I am all about planning for things in advance.. so if there is a threat of severe weather much like there was the other night, I am going to be ready for it! So before I went to bed Sunday night, I got my safe room (aka the powder room) ready.. It is under the stairs and it's supposed to be the safest place in my house in case of a tornado.. By ready, I mean I put pillows, a blanket, a little cooler with a diet mountain dew (b/c I cannot live without caffeine), a bottled water, and some yummy string cheese, oh yeah and another roll of toilet paper.. Remember that the TV/Radio and falashlight are already in there.. So it looks like I'm ready for the storm.. then I got to thinking, what if I'm stuck in here for a long period of time and the TV/Radio dies, I'll need something to read.. Well, if I'm stuck in there and my house has fallen down around me and I have to wait for rescuers, I'm going to use that time to get closer to Jesus, so I put the Bible in there as well.. seems like the practical thing to do. If I have in fact survived the storm of the century, I ought to be thanking someone, right?? Who better to thank than Jesus himself.. I'm pretty sure my minister would give me props for that last statement... I also remember to put my handbag, along with my car keys, cell phone and shoes in the safe room before I go to bed... I'm not kidding!!

Oh and I make sure to wear matching pj's to bed, not just a t-shirt or be neked (that's how we say it down here ne-kid).. God forbid.. If I am going to survive for a couple of days in that safe room, I'm going to look good.. There is no need to sacrifice good looks in the face of a tragedy... Who knows, it might be a good lookin single firefighter that comes my rescue... but my luck it would be some guy named Bubba with only two teeth, telling me how purty I was...

So when the sirens go off alerting me to a tornado touchdown, all I have to do is run like my pants are fire to my safe room (aka the powder room) and just wait it out... and maybe have a snack...

Love y'all!!

~Beachgirl

P.S. In all seriousness, if you all would like to help the recent tornado victims in West Tennessee, please contact The Red Cross at 1-800-HELP-NOW or by contacting the United Methodist Committe on Relief (UMCOR) http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/news/20060405.cfm

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

I think the funniest part of all of this is that you call your bathroom a powder room. You are SUCH a Southern Belle. (Just to be clear, I mean that in a good way!... not to imply that there's a bad way... oh, you know what I mean!)

10:08 AM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

hehhehehe. i was gonna say something cute. but i think i'ma sit here and watch lizzie dig her hole. hehehehe

10:13 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Chuddy- lizzie knows I would totally take that as a compliment, so you should say something cute anyway!!

Lizzie- run into anymore buffoons??

11:02 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Pk- I know!! I thought about that!! Next time I will I know better...

There have been tornadoes touch down all around us today but don't worry, I'm in a safe building.. And I have food and water in my purse just in case I have to make a run to the stairwell...

Seriously, keep us in your prayers another round is headed this way..

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home