musings from a lost beachgirl

Monday, April 03, 2006

This is not funny anymore..

Last night as was having dinner with friends and watching Desparate Housewives and my fave, Grey's Anatomy, the weather folk kept breaking in to programming to tell us about these "super cells" in West Tennessee. We all started cracking jokes about the excitement we could hear in their voices... You know how weather folk can reach almost orgasmic heights when it comes to severe weather of any kind... Because DH and Grey's are such popular shows, commercials were used to break in to update us on the severe weather... but that seemed petty after the next report came in.

Fatal, I hate that word... I don't really guess anyone likes it. But when that word was used last night to describe one of these "super cells" that ended up producing a tornado, I said, this is not funny anymore.

Twelve, the number of people reported killed by tornadoes in Dyer County Tennessee, Five the number reported killed in Gibson County Tennessee... The number is expected to rise as search and rescue teams go out today.. Sometimes daylight brings joy and happiness, today it was just an extension of the sadness and horror of last night's storms...

I ask for your prayers today for my fellow Tennesseans as they pick up the pieces of their tattered lives. Be thankful for your homes, your children, your family and your own lives because in an instant, they can all be gone...

5 Comments:

Blogger jpasalakis said...

This is a very thoughtful post. Missouri got hit hard too, so we were going through the same weather aggravations while watching the shows. But my family was all safe and sound, so I guess I can't complain :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks jen. It's so sad... I'm glad y'all are ok and your peeps in S-ville, I think it missed them.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

My folks just missed the worst of it in the STL area.

On a lighter note, I know you are a sucker for guys in uniform... ;-)

12:44 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

E- that's just like you to flirt despite death and destruction.. besides, my taste in men had nothing to do with this post... I think your R&R fried your brain!

Snazzy new pic..

1:37 PM  
Blogger Officially Fabulous said...

Hope you made out okay- We barely got "weather" here on the EC- but what we got was FRIGHTENING! Hope you & yours are safe!!
~Fab : )

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home