musings from a lost beachgirl

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Some Exciting news

So I have been hesistant to share this bit of news with everyone...Mainly b/c it's a very important thing that has come up, I have been talking to my family, best friend Kari and some church folk about it... Most importantly I have been in much prayer about it.. What is it you ask??

An awesome job opportunity... It is the Special Events Director for a large non-profit agency. The job just sort of fell into my lap last Wednesday when I was having lunch with my friend, Angie... She is the executive director of this non-profit and were there to discuss volunteer opportunities for next year, she had asked me to chair an event this year but I had to decline b/c of all my other obligations... The conversation was just rolling along and I began to tell her that I was thinking of changing careers. I wanted to move towards development/fundraising within a healthcare field, non-profit, etc... She kind of looked at me with a funny look on her face, and said she had an opening... I was like hmmmm. As we began to talk more about the position I became more excited, she was totally serious... As we left she asked me to send her my resume when I got back to my office and she would have the HR person call me...I sent her my resume, and the HR person called to set an appointment so we could talk the next day (Thursday).

So, this was really happening....My dream job, being a Special Events Director...I would actually get paid for things I do already, plan parties and events... I had a brief phone interview with the HR person on Thursday, I really liked her, and I think she liked me...

The following day, Friday, I had a formal interview with Angie, she showed me around the office and introduced me to the staff... Then she showed me what would be my office, it's so cute... After I left Angie's office, I had a brief phone interview with her boss... After I hung up with her, Angie called me and asked me how I thought it went, I told her I thought it went fine...Angie informed me that her boss had already emailed her and said she thought I was a perfect fit for the job!! Angie told me that we would start the paper work and I should know something by the following week (this week)......

After a glowing reference from my current boss (she's amazing), I got the offer yesterday and I accepted... I will be the Special Events Director for a major non-profit agency.... I give all thanks to God, I put this in his hands, I did not worry and I prayed that His will would be done.... Praise the Lord!!

So here we are, closing a chapter on my life... I have been with the state for 6 years, I started here just out of college. I grew up here, my co-workers became like family to me. It was a little hard to tell some folks that I was leaving, but they were all so happy for me... and I'm happy for me too...

So there you have it, my big news...a new life born in Christ, a new job, and an amazing new adventure!!!

13 Comments:

Blogger Our Crazy Life said...

Congrats!! I'm so excited for you! I know you'll be wonderful in this position.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Wow, talk about being uniquely qualified for the position. That sounds great BG and congratulations!

12:43 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks girls!! I am very excited!!

1:10 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What an amazingly wonderful career to become a part of! :) I am excited about hearing of your new advenutures in the next chapter of your life! Love and Hugs!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I am so excited for you!! It worked out!!! That is wonderful!!!!! YAY!!!!! xoxo

7:30 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

TN and kels, thanks girls, I am way excited!! Hey, I'll be in Bethesda for a couple of days in September, wonder if we could meet up or something??

10:40 AM  
Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll have fun at it.

Just remember, most people who work at hotels/convention centers/banquet halls aren't that smart. (Or they play dumb to try to beat you out of a few dollars.) A little patience goes a long way -- as does the ability to be a big, giant a-hole. Which is where I usually come into the picture.

You can always let me know if you have questions. jakemccafferty AT comcast DOT net.

8:07 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Jake, Thanks so much!! I will email you.. But I do find it hard to believe you are an "a-hole"...

Much love to you!!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

I so wish you best with your new opportunities!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Neilissimo said...

Congratulations for the job.

I'm sure you'll make a success of your new career.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Congrats, BG! How exciting - couldn't be happier for you!

6:41 AM  
Blogger jpasalakis said...

This is so up your alley!! I'm very excited for you. So when's the first big event?? Is there a website for the Nashville chapter we can check out.

6:42 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

E- thanks very much...

neil- welcome, I always love it when our friends from across the pond stop by..

lizzie- thanks sweetie, I hope you are well... are you home yet?

Jen- what's up little momma!!?? How's our girl doing today?? we DO have a website it is.. http://www.cff.org/Chapters/tennessee/

My first event is coming up Sept.17th, it's a tailgating event, talk about perfect!!

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home