musings from a lost beachgirl

Friday, July 28, 2006

Ready for more sex?

That was the subject line of an email I got from my minister last night. Ok, before y'all start flipping out, I have been asked to be a co-leader in a sexual education class at my church as part of our college ministries. Sex is a subject that a lot of Christians find taboo, but it is a real issue facing kids in college that are away from home... I like the fact that my (very conservative high methodist) church is willing to tackle issues like this. So the email was all about the class and getting it started, but I just thought it was too funny not to share...

I had met with our college ministries team last night for the first time. They are a great group of people and hyper-organized, which I totally love!! I am going to be the Social/Hospitality Chair (what a surprise!)... I feel like my social skills are God given talents so why shouldn't I use those talents to serve God Himself?? Seems like a no brainer..

Things are really good right now.. but there is something that is on my heart. With the the strife in the Middle East right now, our troops in Iraq have sort of been put on the backburner. Recently it was announced that some 3,500 members of the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team. The unit, which has been serving in northern Iraq, was scheduled to be leaving now, but instead, most of its 3,900 troops will serve for up to four more months. It was unclear whether the unit would go to Baghdad. This absolutelybreaks my heart. All those soldiers that were preparing to come home, and their families waiting for them for a year now... I for one am waiting for my friend RG, with the 101st Airborne to come the first week of September. If I found out he was going to have to stay another 4 months, which include the holidays, I would be devastated... So I ask that you pray for our military service men and women as well as their families... I don't want this to turn into a political debate, it is what it is... Let's all just pray for their safe return... soon...

6 Comments:

Blogger ThursdayNext said...

BG ~ Thank you for bringing the American troops in Iraq to the attention of other readers and bloggers; you never make me feel alone in this. I am so glad that RG is on schedule to get home. :)

I can't wait to hear about the activities you plan as the Social/Hospitality Chair! Awesome! Congrats on the position!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Beleive me, my thoughts are with everyone associated with the 101st right now!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

Some things can't be said - but our troops deserve all the support they can get.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I think I must have been going to the wrong church all this time.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I agree with Barry.

And I'm glad RG is coming home soon!

1:51 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

TN- thanks dahling... email me and let me know what's up with you..

E-explain yourself sir...you can't just leave a comment like that and expect me NOT to be curious.. Are you just praying for them in general, or is there a REAL reason (like they aren't coming home as scheduled)...

barry-amen brother... amen...

thomas- thanks for stopping by!! After reading your site, I'm pretty sure we are exact opposites.. But here's the thing, we are both beautiful children of God...even if you do love algore...

lizzie- you should meet thomas, I think you all would be great friends.. thanks for your kind words about RG..I'm excited too!!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home