musings from a lost beachgirl

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Calling....

No this is not the title of the latest scary movie. It's what I feel. I didn't even know if I should post this or not. Maybe I'm a little nervous of what you all will think, I know I shouldn't care, but I do. It has been said that a good southern lady should never bring up politics or religion in polite conversation. While I do consider myself to be a good southern lady, I consider myself to be a good Christian first and formost. So I will be talking about religion today, you've been warned, if you don't want to read about the amazing things that have been happening in my life, then stop here... But for those of you that are still tuned in, here you go...This is all about my calling.

I have always been a Christian. My mother and grandmother established in me a wonderful foundation for Christian growth. But as I became a teenager and young adult in my 20's I drifted from God, I always believed but I did things that I wasn't very proud of, I mean I didn't become a drug addict, prostitute or anything horrible like that... but I partied a lot... But all the while I was still searching for God's love. He was there the whole time, it was me that wasn't.

The year I turned 30, I knew I needed to change, I knew I needed more, so I joined a church... It's a wonderful Methodist church where I felt so much love and have grown in my Christian faith... I even did a 34 week Bible study, for two reasons... the first being, I felt a calling to do this, the second reason (and one I am ashamed to admit) was to impress a boy. He is a super strong Christian and I thought if he knew I had made this committment, he would magically fall in love with me...So at first it was all about impressing him, but then as the Bible study went on, it became less and less about the boy and more and more about my relationship with HIM... My heart began to change. I began reading God's Word, I began to crave it. I wanted to know more.
Then I started working with the young adult worship team that started an amazing new worship service. It's a Sunday evening service, where we come as we are, sing praise & worship music and worship God. It's amazing, and it's part of my calling. I thought that was it, but God kept calling me to do more. I talked to my pastoral staff and told them I felt called to work with college kids. So they asked me to teach their college Sunday School class. I haven't had a single student show up, but I am there each Sunday, waiting and loving these kids that I don't even know uncondtionally.... I remember what Sunday's were like for me as a college student. Sunday School was the last thing on my mind, but usually I was praying..Praying that God would help through the hangover I had from the night before... I'm certain that's not what God had in mind when he said to worship on the sabbath...

But I am still feeling God calling me to do more. I just had to be still enough to hear Him...but I'm not quite sure what he has in mind, I think it has something to do with ministry. I am going to work again with my pastoral staff to figure out what this calling means.

I know that talking about religion makes some people feel uncomfortable, and I have never been an evangelical Bible Beater (the kind of person that hits you over the head with religion and judges you if you don't believe what they believe), I'm more of a... here's what's going on with me and it's amazing. I answer questions about my faith, but I don't shove it down people's throat. I say all this to tell you that I will be posting more about my faith and this Calling. I have refrained from it in the past b/c I thought no one would read my blog after that, that everyone just wanted to read funny things... of course walks with faith can be funny at times, and my sense of humor always finds it's way out. Why don't you stick around to see what happens...

Much love~BG

13 Comments:

Blogger Our Crazy Life said...

I'm sure you'll be great with those kids...maybe your calling is not to wait for them but to go out and get them to come in. I'm sure you could make Sunday School fun and exciting for young kids.

11:41 AM  
Blogger jpasalakis said...

If your calling changes to newborns...I'll have plenty of poopies (what I've decided to call poopy diapers) waiting for you. Also, if you ever want to come work for a ministry, I'm sure Eric could you find something for you at his work.

12:06 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

ray- it's so funny (actually it's not, it's God at work)we were discussing that at church Sunday night... Thanks for the encouragement!!

Jen- I'm pretty sure poopies are not included in the calling!! I would love to work for a ministry, you just want me to move out there!! But maybe that's what God is calling me to do!! Who knows..

I love you both for supporting me!!

1:03 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

BG ~ If there is one thing the most special about you, it is your faith. Your faith gives me faith, and I thank you for it each day.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

The blog is your blog; if no one ever read it, then it's still your blog. It's nice to have some validation with comments and such, but that's not why you come here -- whether you realize it or not.

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -- Sylvia Plath

7:52 PM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

Wow, what an encouragement! thanks for this post.. you know, i think that really is the way that Christians should be.. and yet it's so hard at times. Christians should NEVER be judging, yes, i think there's time for warnings and confronting sins in people's lives in a loving, non-condemning way.. but as Christians, we have to be careful not to think we are any "better." Because BELIEVE ME we arent! I think I struggle with this alot, just truly being humble, loving others unconditionally, not separating myself from people.. but it's a struggle that I think i'll always face in one way or another.

One of the biggest things that turns people off to Christianity, are Christians. We have to walk the walk, if we're goign to talk the talk. If we're going to live as hypocrites, than everyone else will see that we aren't who we say we are.. that it's a lie.

So anyways, lol sorry didn't mean to preach.. but the I think you're seriously behaving as Christian really ought to!.. just from reading this post, the compassion and love and desire to serve God through your calling has been an example of how Christians should live..

i'll be a-prayin' for ya!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

It is always important to do what you feel in your heart that God is calling you to do. I am proud of you for wanting to further your ministry. I like watching your faith play out. I do a lot for church but am not feeling that I give it my all. I teach Sunday school and am in charge of the acolytes. My heart is there, just not all of the way...right now, I am more in a place where I do not want to say no. I hope to get where you are.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

The hardest pat for me is knowing when something is a calling, or just seems what I want to do.

Not worth much for you there I know, but that and about5$ gets U a coffe at Starbux

7:21 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

How cool BG! Go out and get those kids!

9:33 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

TN- you are so sweet, it's b/c of friends like you that MY faith grows...

jake- you are the best and you have an amazing way with words... Ilove ya more than my luggage!!

stonewall-thank you for an amazing comment!! You took the words right out of my mouth! Thank you for your prayers... you are in mine as well... do let me know before you head for Charleston...

Kels- maybe you need to stop doing someof those things and just sit back and listen.. God's there, sometimes we just need to slow down long enough to hear what He is saying...you'll get there sweet girl...

barry-I think sometimes what you want to do CAN be the calling..like I told Kels, be still and pray for guidance.. Your opinion always means a great deal to me..Although Starbucks sounds great right now!! ;)

kate- OMG!! It is so great to hear from you!! and OF COURSE you can email me!!!!

I cannot tell you howmuch it means to me that you all have commented here, it is proof that God is at work in my life... I feel so uplifted and blessed!! My cup surely runneth over!!

9:35 AM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

you will do great...I have some catching up to do with you.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

If I quit reading your blog after you posted this, that would make me an extremely shallow individual who wouldn't deserve to be your close friend!

I wish you the best in discovering what is in store for you. I know this is something you've struggled with for some time (as many of our emails have discussed), but you will find your place. You are an amazing woman, one I absolutely adore, and am thankful for you being there for me.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home