musings from a lost beachgirl

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Lovin the Low Country

So y'all know I am originally from the Low Country, more specifically Charleston, SC. I spent many of my summers there. So I thought I would make a few suggestions if you ever plan to visit or live there for that matter.
Geography
First, there are terms you need to know...
West Ashley- this is a suburb of Charleston the is West of the Ashley River, hence the name West Ashley. There are the typical stores like Wal-Mart, Supermarkets, etc out that way...
North Charleston- it's not just another part of the city, it's a whole other town. Can be confusing so just remember that... There is NEVER a reason to go to North Charleston
Kiawah- This is where the rich folk (usually tourists) vacation...
Folly Beach- This is the beach you'll want to find... it's about 10 minutes from downtown Charleston. Not a lot of toursists have found Folly yet and it's great... You can get to Folly from downtown by using the "Connector" it's just a big bridge, but the locals call it the "Connector"...When you get to Folly, take a left at the Holiday Inn (you'll know it when you see it) go down a couple of blocks, maybe like 2 or 3, and park your car near Berts. Berts is a landmark on Folly. It's a grocery store that also sells hot dogs, and other livations that are necessary for the beach.. No need for shoes here, it's a beach hangout...

Oh and when you hear someone say something is SOB- they mean it is South of Broad (Street).... on the other hand when someone says that is SNOB- they mean slightly north of Broad (street)...

Places to frequent
For Mexican- Juanita Greenbergs on King St. the best Nachos in town!!
For Seafood- the Crabshack on Folly.. It's owned by the Condon Family so it's awesome!!
If you are a tourist- head to the market place but if you want to hang with the locals, head to King Street and all the little side streets in the vicinity..

Shopping-
KING STREET!!! They have all of the typical stores plus so many specialty shops. But if you are a gentleman and you are looking for that Charleston Low Country Look, go to Dumas on King Street.. It looks like a dump but it has what you need... Seersucker suits, bowties, topsiders and Rainbow flip flops ('bows are essential for Charleston living)

Oh and you may hear people talking about the Cooper River bridge, well it no longer exists as of last summer and was replaced by the Arthur Ravenel Bridge... It's a huge gaudy eye sore....

Ok- I think that's your complete guide.. if I think of anything else, I'll post... Charleston is a beautiful City. Rich in history and steeped in southern charm.... If you ever go, it will always call your name to come back soon..Hence the reason I will always be a lost beachgirl, trying to find my way back to the Low Country...

10 Comments:

Blogger beachgirl said...

Gurl, you have no idea!! I do have an accent but there are so many parts of the south with own dialect if you will...

How to describe.... think Charlene from designing women...

3:48 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

I did enjoy King Street, mostly because it was the LAST 200M of the 10K, but also because I found this great little bakery there...hung over on Sunday morning and fresh crossiants will wake you right up!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Charlene was the blonde, right? OK, I'll agree with that...

4:53 PM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

All i need to know is... where the beach is.. so Folly beach, hmm sounds good. Ah, man speaking of the beach, i haven't been in like.. one month, ah. terrible, terrible. I've gotten so white it's pathetic. Every summer I swear to myself that at the end of summer I WILL look like a Mexican, but every summer I always seem to fall short. Maybe this summer.. lol maybe.

yeah, actually knobs are usually granted weekend passes, however I'm sure those passes can be revoked in an instant. But if so, they have a chapel on campus, so I'm all good.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Charlotte you say, hmmm, I way have to take that into consideration...Charleston has crossed my mind, but ultimately I don't think go to battle with those little red ants ever again, and after living in the middle east for some time now, I'm probably more likely to move to Ontario.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

I have no idea what post was I commenting on.

I'll be back tomorrow...

12:07 PM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

rolli-lol!

kings street is nice-and southern accents!

2:53 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Stonewall- and if ever you are lookin for a good homecooked meal just head out highway 17 towards Savannah to Adams Run, to Miss Olah's house (my grandmother), tell her you know me and she'll fix you up some GOOD homecookin..mmmm She might also take ya down to the Hopewell Baptist Church right down the road if you need it...

E- yeah that whole running thing.. the only reason I would run down King Street is if there was a sale Sax... no.. they would have to be giving away Jimmy Choos for me to break into a run..

RG- sounds like you need some rest.. and you need to forget about those red ants... there's much more to the Low Country... besides you're going to scare Stonewall!!

CS- Charleston is the Best!! and my accent does change and become moooore southern than it is right now.. If that's possible...

4:46 PM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

oh dear red ants.. ok VMI sounds nice.

5:56 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

I have to start keeping up with blogs better.

Laurie - Charlene doesn't even start to cover it, particularly when she's drinking. She's SUTH - ERN.

And what's sad, is that it rubs offf. I'm Southern, but years in the North and family rubbed off on me and I don't drawl as badly, UNLESS I'm around someone who does. I turned into Julia Sugarbaker around her last weekend!

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home