musings from a lost beachgirl

Friday, May 26, 2006

Memorial Day

Memorial Day Weekend is upon us. A lot of people are going on fun family trips, most of us have Monday off as a holiday.. Everyone loves a three day weekend, including me... But sometimes I think the meaning of Memorial day gets lost in the hustle and bustle. Here's what Memorial Day means to me, and here's how my family and I observe it....

Ever since I was a little girl, my mother and I have driven up to Morristown, TN on Memorial Day to pick up my great Uncle Harve. He was gruff old man, a little harsh but still very loving (in his own way). We would then go to the cemetaries where his brothers are buried and place red,white and blue wreaths on their graves. It was very important to Uncle Harve to remember his brothers, Greye (US Army) and Wayne (US Navy) on Memorial Day. Uncle Harve was a Navy man as well. Uncle Harve went on to Glory a couple of years ago (we buried him in his naval uniform), but he made me promise that I would carry on with the Memorial Day tradition.... and I will. So I will be making the trek back to East Tennessee this weekend to place wreaths on the graves of three of my greatest heroes...

I encourage each of you to find a way to honor our fallen heroes. Here are few ways that I found at http://www.usmemorialday.org/observe.htm

The "Memorial" in Memorial Day has been ignored by too many of us who are beneficiaries of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. Often we do not observe the day as it should be, a day where we actively remember our ancestors, our family members, our loved ones, our neighbors, and our friends who have given the ultimate sacrifice:

-by visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes.
-by visiting memorials.
-by flying the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon.
-by flying the 'POW/MIA Flag' as well (Section 1082 of the 1998 Defense Authorization Act).
-by participating in a "National Moment of Remembrance": at 3 p.m. to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day, and for Taps to be played.
-by renewing a pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of our falled dead, and to aid the disabled veterans.

God Bless America!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Eunuch said...

All I can say is thank you! For everything.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

You're right, the real meaning of the holiday certainly tends to get overlooked. It's so nice of you and your mother to honor it properly!

4:41 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

E- No my friend, it is YOU that deserves thanks!! For everything...

lizzie girl- I'm sure there are other people that honor this holiday in their own way.. this is just our little way... Love ya girl!!

8:25 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

BG ~ I love your raw patriotism and your words have touched my heart all weekend. Thank you for everything, especially all you have done to remember this day.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Happy Memorial Day, my friend!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

Good for you.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home