musings from a lost beachgirl

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Happy Birthday Momma

So today is not my mother's official birthday, but it is the one year anniversary of her open heart surgery. Many of you already know the story, but here's the Reader's Digest version... We were on vacation in Charleston this time last year, and my mom had a heart attack, the next day she had open heart surgery. I remember the moment the doctor told me she would have to have open heart surgery. I looked at him and said, "but you don't understand doctor, we are on vacation"... I know he thought I was a complete moron. It was very late at this point and I sat in the Cardiac Care waiting room, by myself, it just hadn't hit me yet that my mother was about to have major surgery. There was no one there to hold my hand, or hug me and tell me it was going to be ok. But it's like I didn't want those people there anyway, b/c that would make all of it so very real. I was able to tell my mother goodnight, I'm pretty sure she was sedated and didn't realize I was there. I drove back to the hotel and left the car in front for it to be valet'd. I walked into the hotel room and fell to the floor. For the first time all night, I cried, the pain came from a place I didn't know I had. I begged God NOT to take my momma from me. At that moment, peace washed over me and I knew it would be alright. That night, I wrapped myself in mother's robe, it smelled pretty like she always does, and I slept for about two hours before I had to get up and start making phone calls..

I made the necessary phone calls and I remember one call specifically, it's actually kind of funny... I called my Aunt Libby (my mother's sister in law), I told her what happened, then I told her NOT to call my mother's sister Patsy. That woman is as crazy as a Sh*t House rat and I didn't need her anywhere near me at this point... What was even funnier, Aunt Libby totally agreed. Eventually I called her, but not until after the surgery and I had everything well in hand..

The recovery was the worst part... Momma is not exactly the most gracious patient... It got to the point I had to tell momma to zip her lip b/c if she complained anymore to the hospital staff that they were going to put a pillow over her face, or I was going to do it, one or the other!!!! Looking back there were some really funny moments. She and I can talk about them now without fussing. It's very healing for the both of us..

So today July 6, I say to my momma, happy birthday.. Today is the day you were given a second lease on life and I was given a second chance to be a better daughter. Momma's are very special and I don't think there is any other momma that is as wonderful as mine!!!Thanks be to God...

9 Comments:

Blogger Clearlykels said...

Momma's are very special. I am glad you know that!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Our Crazy Life said...

Wow, I hadn't heard that much detail of the story before. I can't imagine what that must have been like for you. Thank the Lord she is better now. What would we do without our mothers?

8:52 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

kels- of course I know it, but it's awful to think I do forget every now and then...

ray- it was pretty awful, I guess I just wanted to bury it all, but it felt good to talk about it... Thank the Lord indeed... Carter is so blessed to have such a wonderful momma like you!!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

I'm glad your Mama is around and you got your second chance.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Officially Fabulous said...

Glad your Momma is doing well!! I can't even think about that stuff w/ mine- It tears me right up!! Yay Momma! Happy Birthday!
~ Fab : )

6:45 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Happy Birthday to your Momma! :) She is amazing because...well...look who her daughter is! Love you BG. I am sorry you and your Mom went through this, but I am glad its over and that you two are enjoying yourselves a year later!

7:20 PM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

wow you are so lucky!!! glad she made it another year and I hope she makes it another 50!!!

7:50 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Thanks everyone, for your warm thoughts on this very personal subject!! I love y'all so very much...

8:20 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Very happy that the both of you are still together and are now joking about old events. Must have been a very thing for everyone to handle. I'm very happy for that everything worked out, but I'm still sending any birthday cards because of it!!! ...Only my wishes


(I didn't see anything wrong with your vacation logic...made perfect sense to me)

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home