musings from a lost beachgirl

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Confession is good for the soul

So is living within your means... As some of you may or may not know, I bought a new car back in April, a 2005 Jeep Liberty. I have always wanted an SUV, now I've got it and I have become a slave to it...It's so cute but it's a big ole gas guzzling SUV, I confess, I acted impulsively when I bought and now I'm stuck with it... Well maybe not, if you all will bear with me for a moment, as the title suggests, confession is good for the sould... So here's how mine went....

Lately, I have been saying my prayers during my morning commute, I think it starts the day off right and it keeps me from killing all of the stupid drivers I encounter on the way in to work... So as I am saying my prayers I ask God for guidance on my car and what I should do, I confessed that I bought the car to impress my friends, I thought it would make me happy.. But you know what they say about the odds of a rich man getting into heaven...I needed to humble myself before God and admit that I was living outside of my means.. I did it and it felt good. So I got to work, checked on a few things and took a few minutes to make some calls about the Jeep.

Carmax Guy- uh, we probably can't help you but bring it in anyway and we'll give you an estimate...
Wait a dern minute, I thought the Carmax people we SUPPOSED to be nice!! This guy couldn't have cared less so I said thanks and hung up...

Hansen Jeep Dealership Guy- pretty much the same thing, except he practically hanging up on me...
Tears are welling up now..When I'm mad, I usually cry, I hate that... so then I email my mom and tell her I think I'm stuck with the Jeep...

But then something inside of me wouldn't let me give up... So I looked at the list of Jeep Dealerships listed and there it was, Miracle Chrysler/Jeep. NO LIE!! Their slogan was something like, "do you need a miracle"... I was like Yep, I do! So before I dialed the phone I said a quick prayer. I knew it was going to be a good call when the lady that answered the phone was as nice as nice could be.... Then I talked with Jack... Nice guy, he put me at ease immediately, (at this point I knew he was BS-ing me but I didn't care, I needed someone to be nice to me)... He actually said I had some options and that he realized he wasn't going to make a lot of money on this but he was looking for good referrals... Again, realizing that he was probably BS-ing me, but I again, I didn't care...I just needed some help getting rid of the Jeep. I told him that I was in the Junior League and that I run in some really good social circles and if he did right by me, I'd make sure to refer ALL of my friends... He got my drift and I am headed out there today for them to look at my Jeep.

I am taking my best good friend Kari with me to the dealership. Her husband used to sell cars when he was in college, and yes, I would love for him to help me right now, but he is preparing to take the Bar Exam next week, so I certainly won't bother him with this pettiness right now... But Kari has learned some of the old car salesmen tricks...and she doesn't take crap from anyone...

So here I am humbled, confessing that I am living outside of my means. I am trying to remedy the situation and will do better... I expect you all, my friends to help me be accountable!! Confession is good for the soul, anybody else want to fess up, about, well...anything??

Much love y'all!!
~BG

8 Comments:

Blogger jpasalakis said...

Heather!!! You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT need a car to impress your friends! What the heck...we all adore and love you the way you are. Geez...if you drove a volkswagen bug from 1976 (my first car), we would all love you the same. You know we all love the Fred's now because of you and your freakin cute flippy flops.

I'm praying that you really do receive a miracle. If this adorable salesman works with you and truly tries to help you, remember to send him a thank you note and let him know how appreciative you really are. I know, I know...he's taking your money...but thank him for his kindness. Okay...I'm on my soapbox...he could be butt ugly but I just love him already.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Our Crazy Life said...

It takes a lot of courage to admit all that. So what are you going to get instead? You should get one of those Honda hybrids!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Modern Day Stonewall said...

hey, ever read Confessions by St. Augustine...

lol talk about confessing things...

but indeed, jeeps are awful.. i would go with some foreign made car, lol i know it sounds terrible, but it's true, domestic car-makers just rip you off.. (not always true tho)

btw, have you ever heard of Roger Miller?

7:08 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

How is it going? I hope they were nice to you and said things that you want to hear. It is very good of you to come to terms with the fact that you were living out of your means.

My confession- I am a bit of a commitmentphobe which is why I remain friends with guys instead of letting them know if I like them. There you go Beachgirl-- my little confession. I am working on it, but it is hard.

8:57 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Stacey- welcome!! my friend got an H3 Hummer, but she also makes major bank!

jen- I wasn't talking about you trash!!! I know I could live under a bridge and you would think it was the best thing ever!! Jack was very nice but we only talked on the phone so I don't know if he is butt-ugly or not.... He's going to work with me until we find exactly what I want...Of course I will send him a thank you note!! Did you get the thank you note I sent to Molly Kate?

ray- I think I will get an Altima...It's what my momma wanted me to get in the first place!! Dang it, why can't I listen to her!

stonewall- well hey sweet boy!!! I thought you would already be at the Citadel...I have not read Confessions but I will give it a shot...of course I have heard of Roger Miller... why do you ask??

Everyone should go over to Stonewall's site... he's the smartest 18 year old boy I have ever met (ok so I have never actually "met" him but y'all know what I mean).. also, he's about to start at the Citadel, y'all should pray for him and wish him well!!

kels-they were VERY nice to me... and I think I will get what I want... thanks for the confession kels, noticed everyone else was too chicken to confess?? ;)LOL

10:37 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Way to name drop BG, but a girls gotta do...

I drove a chevy blazer, and I hate the gas thing, and the last thing I want to do is contribute to problems, BUT (of course) I move constantly and need something comfortable for my dog. So I'm stuck.

So you pray for solutions...hmmm, is that some sort of exchange process or can I just ask?

2:43 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Rolli-
Name drop? Huh?? See you're so smart, I have a hard time keeping up with you...

The way it works, you just ask...but I guess there is a bit of exchange, He just wants you to love Him... that's it...

7:31 AM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

BG--I was seriously planning on getting a Jeep once I got back from Iraq (for the kayaks)...if you've still got it in a couple of months, we'll talk.

Confession-I can't say no...yep. Anyone that asks me just about anything, and they are my friend, I can't say no to them. Ever.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home